What are "cookies"?
Cookies are small text files that websites send to users’ devices (e.g. computer, tablet, smartphone, notebook, etc.), where they are saved and then sent back to the same sites on the user’s next visit. Cookies may require the user’s prior consent.
Cookies allow the device on which they are stored to be identified for the entire period of their validity or registration. During visits to the Website, navigation-related information received from the user’s device may be stored in cookies installed on the device.
Cookies perform different functions and make navigating the Website more efficient by remembering the user’s preferences and enhancing their navigation experience. They can also help personalize the advertisements shown during navigation and the marketing activities aimed at the user, ensuring that they reflect his/her interests and preferences.
Cookie settings can be changed at any time. The following information provides further detail about the cookies used by the Website and the ways the settings relating to them can be managed.
Types of cookies
When a user connects to the Website via their web browser, cookies may be installed on their device in order to enable the Website to recognize that device, ensuring the effective use of the Website for the lifetime of the cookies, and to collect information on accesses to the Website.
When navigating the Website, cookies may also be sent to the device from other sites or servers (i.e. “third parties”); these may contain certain elements (e.g. images, maps, sound, specific links to pages in other domains) present on the site being visited. With regard to this profile, these may be:
- First party cookies, sent directly by Enel to the user’s device.
- Third party cookies, which are sent by a third party but on Enel’s behalf.
Depending on the purpose of the cookies, these can be divided into:
- Technical cookies: their use does not require the user’s consent and is strictly limited to the transmission of session-identifying data (numbers generated randomly by the server) necessary for the secure, efficient navigation of the Website; these are not persistent cookies stored on the user’s computer but are erased when the browser is closed. These cookies are used for security reasons and to improve the service offered to users.
- Cookie Analytics: Enel uses cookie analytics to analyze the number of users that visit the Website and the ways in which the Website is used, collecting the information in aggregate form. This kind of cookie can be considered a technical cookie, and therefore does not require the user’s consent. Instead, when it can identify the user, the user’s consent is required.
- Profiling cookies: this kind of cookie requires the user’s consent. Profiling cookies create user profiles and are used to send out advertising messages that reflect the preferences expressed by the user while surfing the web or to enhance their navigation experience. These cookies can be used for this purpose only with the user’s consent.
Managing cookies using the cookie consent management tool
You may select your preferences through the cookie consent management tool. You can always update your preferences at a later date.