Tax Transparency Report
The countries included in the report represent more than 99% of total Enel Group revenues and practically 100% of income taxes paid. The distribution of the total contribution in the various countries in which the Group operates is approximately 83% concentrated in Italy, Brazil and Spain, which represent of approximately 83% of Group revenues.
For details on minor countries, please refer to the Tax Transparency Report and the Sustainability Report.
Total Tax Contribution
Total Tax Contribution in 2021 amounted to 11,514 million euro in 2021: 36% of the Total Tax Contribution relates to payments that represent a cost for Enel (taxes borne) and the remaining 64% to payments made as a result of recourse mechanisms, substitution, etc. (taxes collected).
Breakdown - Taxes borne
Taxes borne by Enel in 2021 amounted to 4,126 million euro. Most of this total corresponds to profit taxes, which account for 44% of taxes borne. Employment and product and service taxes amount respectively to 19% and 17% of the total.
Breakdown - Taxes collected
Taxes collected by Enel in 2021 amounted to 7,387 million euro. Taxes on products and services (mainly VAT) represent 58% of tax collected by Enel due to specifics of its business and high volume of turnover, especially in Italy, Brazil and Spain.
- Taxes borne
Taxes borne are direct costs to Enel, which are the taxes that Enel has paid to the tax authorities of various jurisdictions, i.e., income taxes, social contributions, property taxes, etc.
- Taxes collected
Taxes collected are the taxes that have been paid as a result of economic activities of Enel, they are not part of Enel’s own costs. Here the company is collecting taxes from others, on behalf of government, i.e., income taxes collected from employees under a payroll system.
- Total Tax Contribution (TTC)
Sum of taxes borne and collected, measures the Group's effective tax contribution in the jurisdictions in which it operates.
- Total Tax Contribution Rate
The Total Tax Contribution Rate is an indicator of the cost represented by taxes borne in relation to profit obtained. The Total Tax Contribution Rate is calculated as the percentage of taxes borne with respect to profit before such taxes, based on Enel’s activities in the countries which are covered by the Tax Transparency Report.
- TTC with respect to turnover
TTC with respect to turnover is an indicator that reflects the extent of the contribution made by the Group in relation to the size of its business. The indicator is calculated as Total Tax Contribution divided by revenues.
- Cash Tax rate
The Cash Tax Rate represents the incidence of the tax burden, expressed in terms of taxes paid on the statutory result and is determined as the ratio between the corporate income taxes paid and the profit before income tax.
- Current Income Tax rate
The Current Income Tax Rate represents the incidence of the current (accounted for) tax burden on the statutory result and is determined as the ratio between corporate income taxes accrued on profit/loss Current taxes and the profit before income tax.
- Effective Tax Rate (ETR)
Represents the incidence of the overall tax burden (accounted for) on the statutory result and is determined as the ratio between corporate income taxes accrued on profit/loss and the Profit before Tax. Differently from the Current Income Tax Rate, in addition to current taxes, taxes also include (i) provisions for tax liabilities not yet certain in their amount or existence, (ii) tax adjustments related to previous years, and (iii) deferred tax assets and liabilities.